Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What Scares You?

For those of you reading and getting tired of harping on myself and the gratitude I have for others, bear with me a little more, will ya...

I'm very happy to say I will be be published in an upcoming anthology: Twisted Tales 3. So, thanks to J Richards Jacobs for accepting the story. I also want to thank AJ Brown from the Horror Library at www.zoetrope.com/ Sorry, I was talking so late the other night, dude. If you keep replying, so will I. I enjoyed the hell out of talking to another writer, though. Weird, because AJ and I talked on everything under the sun, it seemed, except writing. And yeah, let's not talk about the Broncos/Colts games. Geesh!

Also to Marilyn Peake www.marilynpeake.com/ , Kim McDougall, www.kimmcdougall.com/ Ellen Meister, www.ellenmeister.com/ Richard Earl Linsley III, and, without leaving her out, Lindsay Nicols, for the sound and invaluable advice at www.zoetrope.com/ in the Promote Yourself Forum. You guys all rock and roll. I see a fantasy! Also to Eddie, at www.feoamante.com/ for the press release. Thanks, mahn!

I also want to mention Christina Dunn, my first official and very sincere fan, for printing out all my stories and reading them while you were in the hospital. I think about you and wish you the best! Sorry to keep you in such anticipation for more, but I'm flattered by the demand of my dementia and feeding your own!

My favorite haunts are to the side. (I think I stole that phrase from Todd Banks, or some other forum. Hope you don't mind, Todd.) I'm not sure how to display them without the url link, so it's a little haphazard looking to say the least. I'm still trying to figure all this out. If you have any ideas, let me know. Until then, I'll see...I still have writing to do.

Also, Steel Moon Publishing is officially up and running. There is a contest going on there and the theme is "Fire." Go to www.steelmoonpublishing.us/ for the guidelines, and read the ones already posted. Todd Banks from the Dead Watch Society has a little piece that will certainly make you anxious for your next meal. And WGM has another great editorial at www.writershelm.com/. They're always good for a reality check.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask for a little participation here. The voting is under way for the best author website at www.FictionAddiction.NET/vote.html. You don't have to vote for mine, of course. That would be slightly pompous on my part, to say the least. There's plenty of great looking sites there, but it might be fun, more for me and the authors there than for you. But there is a big, juicy lollipop in it for you if you do vote for mine. So, there's a slight incentive.

Also, I wanted to ask everyone a simple question on the theory of fear. That is, quite simply, What Scares You? What are your worst fears? Could be bugs. Could be death. Could be failure. You can give me an extensive list, or a very small one. It matters not to me, and I think it will help me get to know you.

Until then, my little crypt dwellers...the lights on, the toes under the covers...You know the drill...Oh, yeah, and HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

11 comments:

Todd Banks said...

What scares me? I would have to say losing my fingers in a freak accident and never being able to write again...another great blog Brandon...and no I don't mind you using my phrase!

Charles Gramlich said...

Among my deep fears, my chronic fears, "sickness" scares me. To lose one's health and strength, to steadily decline. I've seen someone die of cancer. It was awful.

Another deep fear is that something will happen to my loved ones. I know I can't protect them every minute of the day and tha worries me.

For more surface fears, I'm a little scared of the dark and of snakes.

Charles Gramlich said...

Congrats, btw, on all your successes.

Anonymous said...

Excellent Question Brandon,
My greatest fear is being lost. Once while camping in the backcountry of Rocky Mountain National Park, I got to talking with the girl I was with, and realized we had strayed off our intended course, We had no idea which way to go, the immediate panic that set in wasn't helped by seeing the mountain lion droppings where we were. Those few minutes of terror, while we got out the map and oriented ourselves again, scared the stuffing out of me. One second we were fine, the next minute we were almost a statistic.
Just realizing that we had no cell phone, no way to contact anyone, and no one really knew exactly where we were. Could have been a really long day....
Thought we might end up being big kitty food.

Bret Jordan said...

What scares me...

1. Spiders! I hate the way they creep and the way their eight legs move. I hate thier nasty fangs and their multitude of eyes.

2. Letting others down. Being given an assignment and not being able to complete it. Being part of a team and not holding my own.

3. I have a nightmare where I'm at school, college, and I have been skipping classes for the past month (damned close to a true story). Anyway, when I do decide to return I can't remember where my locker is and I can't remember my class schedule.

4. Fear for others, such as something terrible happening to my kids and I can't do anything about it...yeah, that would probably be my biggest fear because I can deal with whatever happens to me, but I can't imagine them dealing with bad events.

Brandon said...

Thanks all, for your comments! I sincerely appreciate it. Until next time...
Brandon

Anonymous said...

well wut scarez me u may ask well idk i guess scary stuff like demons, ghosts, spiders, n well there is a place on da internet called www.hotel626.com n it is rly scary cuz like supposedly u r in a haunted hotel n like there r many levels n they r all scary but wut rly freaked me out wuz dat u have to give them yur phone # n i thought that they weren't gonna call so i gave it 2 dem n well wut happened wuz dat they said rly scary stuff on da phone that even made me cry then i wuz so scared that i stopped playing da game, turned off my computer, n hung up on da pplz......... yurs truely, nonya buisness hehehe jk

Anonymous said...

the thing that scares me are

1. Vampires because i hate them they scare the hell out of me

2. Spiders because i get scared
i really don't like them

3. Blood because when i watch scream the movie i get sick
and i get freaked out and also
i would never see blood on a real person if i did i would vomit all over them

BrandonKristi said...

The creature on the movie Insidious

Cer said...

I Fear...The dark, the unknown, murky water and big things swimming under my dangling feet,the idea of loosing my teeth, anything bad happening to my loved ones, flying, tight-cramped spaces and being trapped in them, loss of control. Oddly, I'm not afraid of blood ( I used to work in an autopsy lab), and I LOVE horror films. That's double odd because I like being scared by them. Go figure! Really like this blog topic! I was thinking of start one for just this reason, until I saw this.

Anonymous said...

For some reason im really scared of seeing a ghost, because i believe in them and the idea of a spirit that you can see through and that's levitating in the air, is just plain creepy! I also really fear death, because i love life and i wish i never had to let it go. Sometimes i'm creeped out to think that a spider, a snake or a rat would come to my bed while i'm sleeping. Ew. BTW, thanks for this post! I like to read about things that scare people because i make amateur movies, including horror movies :)