Saturday, September 5, 2009

Armor Enough

What an erratic bunch of posts. And this one is no different. What a fool I have been! the old adage: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I might've been cynical, pessimistic, and reclusive for a lot of years, but I've learned some things along the way. You know them, too, but not everybody does, and not everybody cares. The world is a dark, horrifying, unloving and tragic place at times, but it doesn't have to be, not you're little corner of it. I've been working with people, the public, for a lot of years now, and the challenging ones come and go, but there are the rare, the spirited, the loving and caring, the magic, the gifted, the genuine. I've been writing dark things for a while, but I certainly don't adopt it into my daily routine. I've had my share of issues and I've conquered them one by one, and still have a few to go. At least that I'm aware of. I've prided myself on being someone who can appreciate and want to understand the dark and still be genuine and sincere in their daily routine. It makes me see myself in a brighter light, balanced. I'm okay. I have a lot of great friends, friends who don't judge, criticize, point their fingers, accuse. They would take a bullet for you, and I would do the same. It tells you a lot about yourself as a person with such an army on your side.

Life is too short. That's the next thing. When you're doing your best, being as loving, patient, and understanding as you can be, and receiving nothing in return but harshness, hostility, and coldness, then it seems the next thing is just to move on. Some people are just mean-spirited. They don't care about you, despite what they've said. They've typecast you perhaps as being just like everybody else. You know who you are, and you don't have to prove yourself to anyone. There are plenty of beautiful people who are loving and kind and wanting to share it with you. You shouldn't have to spend a single minute trying to prove yourself to people. You are who you are and that is a beautiful thing. That's it. I know who I am, take me or leave me, and I'm worth a hell of a lot more than someone's doormat for every time something goes wrong. That's okay. Mark another one off the list. My point here: It's sad, heartbreaking, insulting, even rude, that people would think otherwise. Sorry, but I believe in politeness, that old fashioned, dying ritual. We're all in this together, but we can also help each other along the way. Our own pain and tears is enough. Some have already made up their minds, the stubborn cruelty they've allowed to consume their lives. That's okay, too. We don't need them. You can't persuade them one way or the other. And that's sad, heartbreaking, but folks, that's the way the world is. Don't waste your time. There are a a million kind-hearted, beautiful people out there just waiting to shower you with sincerity, love, and acceptance. We just have to find each other. Leave the mean ones to their own devices, their own islands. You deserve better. I deserve better. We all deserve better. There is a huge, bright light out there if you want to be a part of it. You are not a doormat for the demons of life. As the bumper sticker says: Mean People Suck. And it's true. You shouldn't have to go through life having to endure them. They are not worth it. You have your self-respect, your pride. Your hope, your generosity. Believe me, my friends, that's armor enough for this mad world.

No comments: